Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Friendly Confines...Through the Years.

Growing up on the north side it was inevitable that I was to be a Cubs fan. Watching the game on television was always my connection. I have only been to the ball game a handful of times. Each time was always different. The constant feeling sitting in Wrigley field was the 'want' for the Cubs to win. Fans are ecstatic for their team.


Throughout the years the Cubs remain the team to sell out at a 30,000+ seat capacity.



Many occasions rekindle my memories of watching a live Cubs game. There was the 10K walk to Wrigley Field from my high school. Walking up to the ticket line a couple times in college to catch 100 level seats behind first base. I had eyes for Mark Grace at that time. Not to mention, at this time, my college days I had no money for food only the ticket. I resorted to hiding my subway sandwich and canned pop deep inside my back pack. I remember watching the Cubs lose against the Florida Marlins against their star pitcher, Josh Beckett. I had to sit in second tier seating. This is seating that makes me dizzy and my feet sweaty from looking down like I'm on a roller coaster ride.


Then there was the ultimate when my husband and I brought our oldest son to watch the Cubs play against the Washington Nationals. On my way to the ladies room I was pleasantly surprised to meet Ryne Sandberg. He signed my baseball cap, but I failed to take any pictures.

I recently attended a Cubs game vs the St. Louis Cardinals.
No, it was not the game that clinched the 2008 N.L. Central Division. I attended the Friday game, the Cubs lost 6-12.


Score card cost $5


I did not hide food in my bag this time, and I was able to watch one of my favorite players take the mound. Carlos Zambrano, I *heart* you!






My husband and I maximized the time we had with our babysitters and ate at Harry Caray's Tavern for pre-game noshing. Check out my yelp review. Then we cheered on the Cubs to rally against the 5-0 score after the first inning. We all have our bad days, right?

Some Cubs fans enjoyed watching other things.


We exchanged pleasantries with rival Cards fans, and enjoyed the atmosphere of watching the game. Once the sun headed west behind the stadium, temps started to cool down, and true Cubs fans stayed until the last out. I will always remember the sights and sounds of a Cubs game and can not wait to share this experience with my children.

No comments: